Treatment with XIAFLEX®
XIAFLEX® is the only FDA-approved, nonsurgical treatment option for appropriate patients with Peyronie's disease. You can receive XIAFLEX® right in your healthcare professional's (HCP) office.
You and your HCP will participate in 2 equally important parts of your treatment
Helps weaken and break down Peyronie's plaque
Gentle stretching and straightening activities help reduce erectile curvature and straighten the penile shaft
A treatment course of XIAFLEX® consists of up to 4 treatment cycles approximately 6 weeks apart
Set up all injection appointments at the initial consultation. Your HCP will determine how many treatment cycles are appropriate.
XIAFLEX® was not associated with shortening of penile length in clinical trials in the treatment of Peyronie’s disease
Please see Important Safety Information, below.
Treatment with XIAFLEX® is a team effort. Both you and your HCP have important roles to play. Keep reading to find out more details about these roles, the injection of XIAFLEX®, and penile modeling activities.
Working with your HCP
First injection of XIAFLEX®
- Your HCP will inject XIAFLEX® into the plaque that is causing your penis to curve
- XIAFLEX® is given as part of a treatment cycle. In each treatment cycle, you will receive an injection of XIAFLEX®, followed by a second injection 1 to 3 days later
Second injection of XIAFLEX®
- Occurs 1 to 3 days after initial injection
HCP penile modeling
- 1 to 3 days after the second injection of XIAFLEX®, you will need to return to your HCP's office for a manual procedure called penile modeling that will stretch the plaque and help straighten your penis
Your role at home
Daily penile modeling
- Your HCP will show you how to stretch and straighten your penis the right way at home after each treatment cycle
- After each treatment cycle, you will need to take a few minutes each day to perform these at-home stretching and straightening activities on your penis for about 6 weeks
- Do not use a vacuum erection device during your treatment with XIAFLEX®
After each injection
- Your penis may be wrapped with a bandage. Your HCP will tell you when to take the bandage off
- It is common to see bruising and swelling after your injections with XIAFLEX®
- While receiving XIAFLEX®, avoid situations that may cause you to strain your stomach (abdominal) muscles, such as straining during bowel movements
- Between the first and second injections
- For at least 4 weeks after the second injection and after any pain and swelling has gone away
For each treatment cycle, do not have sex or engage in any other sexual activity:
How to perform daily penile modeling activities at home
Part of your commitment to treatment means performing the 2 types of penile modeling activities (stretching and straightening).
Although these activities only take a few minutes, it is important that you follow your HCP's instructions and do them every day for about 6 weeks at the end of each treatment cycle.
Gently stretch your penis 3 times a day. Only stretch your penis if your penis is not hard (erect).
- With one hand, hold the tip of your penis with your fingers. With your other hand, hold the base of your penis with your fingers.
- Gently pull your penis away from your body to its full length and hold the stretch for 30 seconds.
- Let go of the tip of your penis and let your penis return to its normal length.
- It might be helpful to set aside times during the day when you have privacy and will not be interrupted
Gently straighten your penis once a day. Only straighten your penis if you have an erection that happens without any sexual activity (spontaneous erection). Bending your penis should not cause any pain or discomfort.
- With one hand, hold your erect penis.
- With your other hand, gently bend your penis in the opposite direction of the curve.
- Hold the penis in this more straightened position for 30 seconds, then let go.
- Perform this activity in the morning if you experience a spontaneous erection