Treatment with XIAFLEX® can take up to 24 weeks. Read on to learn more about getting treated with XIAFLEX®, including how to prepare for your appointment, how XIAFLEX® is administered, and what you’ll need to do after you receive XIAFLEX®.
Planning for your appointment
You may feel embarrassed about discussing a curved erection with your HCP. But remember, your HCP is familiar with this condition, which could be Peyronie's disease.
If your HCP says you do have Peyronie’s disease and a plaque that can be felt, then ask if XIAFLEX® could be right for you.
Here are suggested questions you may want to discuss:
- Why do I have a curved erection?
- Is it Peyronie’s disease?
- If I have Peyronie's disease, is XIAFLEX® right for me?
- Is the curve of my erection greater than 30 degrees?
- Do I have a plaque that can be felt?
- Does the plaque involve the urethra (the tube in the penis that urine flows through)?
- Do not receive XIAFLEX® if you have been told by your HCP that the Peyronie's plaque to be treated involves the "tube" that your urine passes through (urethra)
- What are the possible side effects?
- Are there other FDA-approved treatments for Peyronie's disease?
- What is involved in treatment with XIAFLEX®?
Are you trained to administer XIAFLEX®? If not, can you refer me to someone who is?
XIAFLEX® is an in-office, nonsurgical procedure
XIAFLEX® can be administered right in your HCP’s office. After the HCP administers a local anesthetic, if desired, XIAFLEX® is injected directly into the plaque that is causing your erect penis to curve. XIAFLEX® helps break down the plaque.
A treatment course of XIAFLEX® consists of up to 4 treatment cycles 6 weeks apart
Set up all injection appointments at the initial consultation. Your HCP will determine how many treatment cycles are appropriate.
What should I expect from treatment with XIAFLEX®?
XIAFLEX® should be injected into the plaque by an HCP who is trained and experienced in treating adult men with Peyronie’s disease. XIAFLEX® is injected directly into the plaque that is causing your erect penis to curve.
- XIAFLEX® may be given in up to 4 treatment cycles over the course of 24 weeks
- In each treatment cycle, you will receive 2 injections of XIAFLEX® on separate days, 1 to 3 days apart
- Do not have sex or any other sexual activity between the first and second injections of a treatment cycle
- 1 to 3 days after the second injection of XIAFLEX®, you will need to return to your HCP's office for a manual procedure that will stretch and help straighten your penis. Your HCP will tell you exactly when to come back for this
- In addition, you will perform at-home stretching and straightening activities on your penis for approximately 6 weeks after the manual procedure. See A key part of your overall treatment plan with XIAFLEX®, below
- Do not have sex or have any other sexual activity for at least 2 weeks after the second injection of a treatment cycle with XIAFLEX® and after any pain and swelling has gone away
Your HCP will determine how many treatment cycles are appropriate. After each injection, your penis may be wrapped with a bandage. Your HCP will tell you when to take the bandage off.
A key part of your overall treatment plan with XIAFLEX®
Penile modeling activities
Your role at home — Your HCP will show you how to stretch and straighten your penis the right way at home after each treatment cycle. You will need to take a few minutes each day to perform gentle stretching and straightening penile modeling activities on your penis, closely following your HCP's directions.
There are 2 types of penile modeling activities:
- The first is a gentle stretching activity to be performed when the penis is not hard (erect)
- The second is a gentle straightening activity, which should be performed when the penis is erect without any sexual activity
Although these activities only take a few minutes, it is important that you follow your HCP's instructions and do them every day for approximately 6 weeks after each treatment cycle.
Gently stretch your penis 3 times a day. Only stretch your penis if your penis is not hard (erect).
- With 1 hand, hold the tip of your penis with your fingers. With your other hand, hold the base of your penis with your fingers
- Gently pull your penis away from your body to its full length and hold the stretch for 30 seconds
- Let go of the tip of your penis and let your penis return to its normal length
The stretching activity can be done any time of day when you don't have an erection. Establishing a routine may make it easier to remember, so try to do the stretching activity at the same time and place each day. Giving yourself privacy may allow you to feel more comfortable and less rushed.
Gently straighten your penis 1 time a day. Only straighten your penis if you have an erection that happens without any sexual activity (spontaneous erection). Bending your penis should not cause any pain or discomfort.
- With 1 hand, hold your penis. With your other hand, gently bend your penis in the opposite direction of the curve. Hold the penis in this more straightened position for 30 seconds, then let go
Spontaneous erections can be more common in the morning, just as you are waking up. This might be a good time for you to do your straightening activity.